Corn meal muffins are a quick and delicious addition to any dinner table. They are scrumptious with chilis and stews or any type. We also like them with soups. For a quick dessert, a piece of corn bread topped with maple syrup was a special treat for many of us growing up. Try some tonight for you and your family to enjoy.
Makes 24 muffins or one 9X13 inch pan
· 1 3/4 cups cornmeal
· 2 1/2 cups milk
· 2 1/4 cups flour
· 2 Tablespoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 2 eggs
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Milk: coconut water (not coconut milk) to make it non-dairy if necessary.
Egg substitutes: choose one for each egg:
(1)- 1/3 cup applesauce OR
(2) ¼ cup Applesauce + 1 teaspoon Baking Powder OR
(3) one cup plain yogurt = 1 egg
Oil: you may substitute the oil with unsweetened applesauce, but only if you haven’t used applesauce as an egg substitute.
Switch out ¼ cup oatmeal for ¼ cup of the flour.
Add 1 cup of corn niblets for texture if serving with a dish like chili.
1. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil muffin tins or 9 x 13 pan.
3. Combine cornmeal and milk and let stand for 10 minutes
4. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl
5. Add eggs and oil to cornmeal and milk mixture and stir well
6. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined
Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes for muffins and 25-30 minutes for loaf.
Test with a toothpick to see if they are done. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are done.