Enjoy this side dish all year round.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into large-ish chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/3 cup (250g) pearl barley (you can substitute half with with purple barley)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 300g broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 100g tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp small capers, rinsed (optional)
- 15 black olives, pitted (optional)
- 20g pack basil, chopped
For the dressing
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1. Heat oven to 350° F/ 180°C. Place the squash pieces on a baking tray and toss with olive oil. Roast for 20 mins or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, boil the barley for about 25 mins in salted water until tender, still al dente.
3. Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Drain the barley, then tip it into a bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix well and let it cool.
4. Boil the broccoli in salted water until just tender, then drain and rinse in cold water. Drain and pat dry. Add the broccoli and remaining ingredients to the barley and mix well. This will keep for 3 days in the fridge and is delicious warm or cold.