1 can (540 ml) )chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes – I use no salt added
1 can (4.5 oz) green chilies
1/2 cup diced onions – about one small onion
2 stalks of celery diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced sweet potato (optional)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/4 cup vegetable broth
4 or 5 frozen spinach pellets or ½ cup of chopped fresh spinach
½ chopped green sweet pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat for about two minutes.
- Stir in cumin, ginger and coriander.
- Add celery and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add chickpeas, vegetable broth, green chilies and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes if using. Cover and simmer for ten minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Add additional water or vegetable broth if it is too thick.
- Option: stir in some frozen spinach pellets or add ½ green pepper, diced. Remove from heat and let flavours mingle for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve alone or with brown rice and steamed green beans.