- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb stewing beef,
- 2 med carrot, grated
- 1 med onion, minced
- 10 x cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. red wine OR
- 1/2 c cider with 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 796 ml can tomatoes
- 6 c. Beef or vegetable stock
- 1/2 c. barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Roast garlic by cutting the top ½ inch off a head of garlic. Wrap it in foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. When cool, you can squeeze the roast garlic out of the skins.
2. In a large soup pot, heat the oil. Add in the beef, carrots and onion; sauté/fry for 4 min or until beef is browned.
3. Add the roasted garlic and wine (or cider/cider vinegar mix) and continue cooking for 2 to 3 min.
4. Add in the tomatoes and their juice, stock, barley, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, salt and black pepper.
5. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer another 40 minutes or until the barley is tender.