- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups water
- 796 ml can tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked green or brown lentils, about 1 cup raw.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat and add onion and garlic.
2. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and slightly caramelized.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the cooked green lentils. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover. Simmer the soup for about 30-40 minutes, until the red lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Remove 2 cups of soup from the pot and set aside. Puree the soup by using a stick blender or in small batches in a regular blender. Return the puree to the pot, add set aside “chunky” soup and add the cooked green or brown lentils.
5. Adjust seasonings and serve.