|Image courtesy of Creative Commons|
1 cup dried white navy beans
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery diced
2 parsnips, peeled and diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced ginger root
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
4 cups vegetable stock
2 potatoes cut into cubes
4 large (12 oz/375 g) Portobello mushroom caps, cut into large pieces
1 cup pearl barley rinsed.
- Soak beans either overnight or put in a pot with at least 3 cups of water, bring to a boil, turn off heat and allow to sit for 2 hours. Drain, rinse
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and parsnips. Cook until softened.
- Add ginger, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper corns and cook for about a minute.
- Put half the contents of the skillet in slow cooker.
- Spread potatoes over the mixture.
- Layer the cut mushrooms
- Spread barley over the mushroom layer
- Spread the presoaked beans over the barley layer
- Top with the remaining onion/vegetable mix.
- Pour vegetable stock over the contents.
- Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or high for 5 to 7 hours.