Feel free to experiment. Add nuts, sunflower seeds, switch out the vanilla for almond, lemon or rum flavouring. Use caramel sauce instead of jam. The recipe is meant to be a basic canvas for you to work with -- enjoy the bit of sweet.
• 2 cups Bisquick or use our “Homemade Biscuit Mix”
• 2/3 cup water or 2/3 cup milk
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Jam – several teaspoons to dot the top of the cake (optional)
Topping (or use our “Strudel Topping Mix” )
• 1/3 cup “Homemade Biscuit Mix”
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a deep pie plate or 8"x8" square pan with Baking Release.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix water, egg and vanilla together in a cup. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix by hand until ingredients are just incorporated. It will be a fairly stiff dough. Spread in baking dish.
- Optional step: dot top of dough with a few teaspoons of jam
- Mix topping ingredients with a fork or pastry mixer until crumbly or use our Strudel topping mix (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Spread topping mix over dough and drag a butter knife through it like you were making a tic-tac-toe board several times. This will swirl the topping and the jam (if used) into the cake dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out on a serving plate.