|Image courtesy of Creative Commons|
We invite you to make this pasta salad your own. Pump up the amount of chopped vegetables you use (we did!!). Take a look around the garden so see what would fit in nicely. Switch it up by using a little basil or a little dill from time to time. In the winter time, thawed frozen peas would work well.
You may also choose to add some protein sources to this -- shredded chicken, diced ham, drained and rinsed chickpeas or black beans would all work well in this.
It's a recipe that keeps well in the fridge so make it the day before your event and give yourself more time to relax and enjoy...
3 cups dry pasta -- we used fusilli
1/2 medium onion, diced finely, about 1/2 cup
2 tomatoes chopped -- about a cup
1/2 green pepper, finely diced, about 1/4 cup
1 cucumber (seeded if necessary), chopped
3/4 cup celery, diced finely
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/3 c ketchup
1/3 c vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
- Cook pasta is a large quantity of boiling water until tender but not mushy-- al dente as they say in Italy.
- Drain and rinse pasta and set to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil, ketchup, vinegar, salt, pepper and paprika until thoroughly mixed.
- Add cooled pasta to the dressing mix and stir until pasta is coated.
- Add chopped vegetables and stir.
- Keeps in the refrigerator 3 days; bring to room temperature before serving. Remix just before serving (dressing will settle to the bottom of the bowl).