|Image courtesy of Creative Commons|
The original recipe came from the New York Times but we tweaked it a bit. Here's our version of Garlic Scapes Bean Dip.
Need to know what a garlic scape is? Check out our "Know Your Ingredients" column on the subject.
- 1/3 cup sliced garlic scapes (3 to 4)
- zest of one lemon, very finely grated or minced.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice (the bottled juice is kind of flat in this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- pinch red cayenne pepper OR a couple of shakes of Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 2 cups of white beans, cooked until very soft OR 1-15 oz (398 ml) can white or cannelli beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons water (as needed)
1. In a food processor, process garlic scapes with lemon juice, salt, pepper, lemon zest and hot sauce until finely chopped.
2. Add beans and process until it's a rough puree.
3. With the motor running, slowly drizzle oil through the feed tube and process until smooth. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of water until you have a nice dip consistency.
4. Check seasons and adjust to taste.